A Quick Preamble:
It’s all down to being human – even the most cheerful and positive among us can get a little ‘down’ now and again. The dark side of your thoughts or those of others, or those circumstances and happenings not within your control, just sometimes have a way of creeping up behind you and giving you a short, sharp kick-in-the-butt that instantly drops you into that place where you never want to be.
There’s nothing here to be really be too seriously concerned about though… there are plenty of ways you can easily get your thoughts back to the positive side and kill those low moments of misery or mild depression… here’s a couple of my favourites…
Cutting To The Chase:
No.1… Posture And Physical Exertion…
- Our normal physical posture when we’re miserable is something like this: eyes downcast, head bowed forward, shoulders slightly slumped, mouth down-turned or held in a straight tight line and a general lethargic demeanour… right..? Do you recognise yourself in that low mood..?
- So, think about… it’s an easy fix… just physically do the opposite… ! Take a deep breath, breath out slowly and stand straight, tall and proud. Lift your eyes, Lift your head and smile – just a small gentle natural smile… you don’t want to look like you’re completely bug-nuts…! Seriously, try it, it really works… a ‘positive’ posture is a massive mood enhancer.
- You’ve surely heard this quote (or at least a version of it): “A Healthy Body Makes For A Healthy Mind”… well that’s exercise folks… a dirty word to some, but as I often explain to all those who want to listen, exercise is never about the body only. Some quality daily physical exercise is a proven mood enhancer… spending 20 to 30 minutes working up a decent sweat 5 or 6 days per week tones our physique, eases our mental pains and calms all of our negative thoughts.
No.2… The Attitude of Gratitude…
- This is a simple but very powerful emotion… and something that so few people make proper use of – BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT YOU HAVE… !
- STOP CONCERNING YOURSELF ABOUT WHAT YOU DON’T YET HAVE..!
- Here’s where a good quote from Anthony Robbins usually proves useful:
“Focus On Where You Want To Go, Not On What You Fear..!”
- I’m constantly amazed and totally inspired by people who are without doubt much worse off than I or my loved ones are or ever have been… people with no sight or no hearing, people who lack limbs or who have suffered debilitating illnesses that have left them seriously physically challenged, people who have undergone terrible losses of loved ones in the most horrific manner – BUT – they have gotten over their immediate challenges and are miraculously positive minded and completely grateful for what they still have.
- Cultivate within yourself an “attitude of gratitude” for what you have… you don’t
- have to have an awful lot but it’s really not far from a complete miracle that we are blessed with what we DO have, that a lot of others do NOT have – and the people that do NOT have are very often still in a constant happy mood… that right there, is a serious lesson for all of us more ‘fortunates’ to learn and never forget..!
- Also remember this… Like Attracts Like..! be grateful for what you have right now and more will eventually come your way – the laws of attraction dictate that very thought.
No.3… The Best Medicine For Low Moments – Laughter…
- There are a few good natural stress-relievers and mood enhancers that always help to drag a person out of the doldrums, but laughter is by far the best one.
- Everyone has memories of past events, or the antics or words of people in the past… those cherished moments that have caused you some serious fits of the giggles or even side-splitting, wet-your pants laughter – focus on those moments and giggle again.
- Although I’m not the greatest TV fan, I understand that it can have its place in anyone’s life and even I’ve had the great fortune of sitting and watching hilarious comedies that honestly put me in a far happier place for days at a time…
A personal confession: I actually have a pretty good collection of comedy DVDs and one of my favourites is still the full collection of “Laurel and Hardy”… it’s good, old-fashioned, clean slap-stick that never fails to get me into some serious giggling fits… damn they’re good..!
Laughter is the greatest medicine for curing the sickness of low moods and misery… Recommended Dosage: very generous, extra liberal doses, extremely regularly…
A Final Anecdote:
It’s all about a subject very close to my heart… controlling the ONLY things you can control, YOUR THOUGHTS. Your mood is all about the mindset that you and only you, can control.
Take control of your attitude: Your attitude = Your mood
So when your mood takes a bit of an unexpected dip, simply use the tips provided here and you’ll soon be back in control and back to being that happy, self-confident person that you know you naturally are..!
Before you go, a few quick words from the late, great, Louis Armstrong…
“The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the skyAre also on the faces of people goin’ by
I see friends shaking hands saying, “How do you do”
They’re really saying “I love you.”
I hear babies cry, I watch then grow
They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know;
And I think to myself, What a wonderful world;
Yes, I think to myself, What a wonderful world.
We’re all about “Natural Health & Wellness for the mind, the body and the soul…