Cajun chicken strips is one of my favorite recipes. This one recipe can be made into two very different dishes…..2 for the price of 1!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper (you can use red & green bell peppers as well, I don't usually use the green because I think the others make for a pretty meal 🙂
- 1/3 of a whole sweet onion
- package of chicken strips or two chicken breasts
- cajun seasoning here is an organic blend that isn't salty like grocery store blends
- sour cream
- honey mustard salad dressing
- shredded cheddar cheese
- fajita shells
- fresh baby spinach
- 2 packages small portabella mushrooms or 8 large
- Slice the onion, mushrooms and peppers into strips and put into deep skillet on medium heat, sprinkle lightly with Cajun spice and cover. I start the veggies while I slice the chicken strips cause the veggies take a little longer to cook than the chicken. If using precut chicken strips cut them in half or slice chicken breasts about an inch thick and add to pan.
- Sprinkle again with Cajun spice, cover and stir occasionally until the chicken is cooked through. You may want to drain the pan once or twice because of all the water that cooks out of the veggies, especially if you wash instead of dry wiping the mushrooms.
- Once cooked you can decide if you wanted a Cajun chicken fajita or a Cajun chicken spinach salad!
- For a fajita, add goodies from the pan, sour cream and cheese.
- Or, if you want a salad, put goodies from pan on a bed of fresh spinach, sprinkle with cheese and top with honey mustard dressing. It really needs to be a sweet salad dressing to compliment the cajun spiciness. I have tried it with ranch and Cesar and it was awful!
Viola! Two meals for the price of one….and both are yummy!
As always, please leave any thoughts below. Would love to hear from you!