In practice, however, a plastered wall can protect your home from harmful weather conditions and air pollutants, as well as protect your home from the rapid spread of fire. Plastering is not a simple technical task that can be done by anyone who does not have technical knowledge. This work requires experience, attention and για art to give us a beautiful aesthetic result. Otherwise it can cause damage that will cost a lot of time and money.
Even if you are not an expert craftsmen, read the article below to know all the “secrets” of the plastering technique, to gain the ability of understanding the process. This will help you in choosing the right technical workshop.
The advantages of wall plasteringIn addition to the aesthetic effect on the masonry, plastering offers other positive elements:
- Strengthens the insulation of the building as plaster is a material that insulates brick walls. It also protects the columns of the building and the beams of the frame from external factors
- Plastering protects a building from the weather. Even concrete that does not need to be plastered. Plaster, however, protects these surfaces from the weather
- Another protection offered by plastering is fire protection. prevents the passage of fire, especially in constructions with metal frame of a building
The process of plastering and what to watch outThe plastering process requires attention to the movements, technique, good knowledge of materials, system and consistency in the application of each layer. If these are done in a hurry or in inappropriate weather conditions or even the wrong proportions are used, then you may encounter problems later at an unsuspecting time. And to fix them you have to pay money, incur expenses and devote time.
The truth is that it is probably impossible as a customer to control the work that the technical workshop will do in your area. That is why we advise you to choose craftsmen with good recommendations, to see their work and not the financial one to be the main criterion for your choice. However if you want to see if a good job has been done you can do the following: hit the plastered surface with a stick.
If at some point you notice that the wall noise is dull, then there should be gaps left in the first layers. You can also check for any irregularities in the wall surface and check the slopes in the corners as soon as the work is finished. If the plastering is done in an old building as part of a renovation, we strongly recommend that the gutters be repaired first, so that there are no permanent sources of accumulated moisture in the freshly plastered walls that will soon destroy the final result.
A building material with many variations
But what is plaster and what does it consist of? Plaster is a mortar made of sand, water, cement and lime. The ratio of materials to be correct requires an experienced craftsman. In general, you should be aware that the proportion of materials is determined by both the humidity of the materials and the weather conditions prevailing during the plastering season.
The plaster is prepared on the construction site by the technical workshop. However, ready-made mixtures are also available on the market, which give a homogeneous result as the proportion of materials for the plaster remains constant for the whole building.
Using ready-made plaster on the market may increase the cost a bit, but on the other hand it ensures us a correct and stable ratio of materials. You should know that variations can be made in the materials, such as replacing the sand with marble dust, or the cement instead of white may be the familiar gray.
We can also give color or thermal insulation properties by putting in the mixture of perlite plaster and plasticizer. With the colored plaster you can avoid painting the wall afterwards and thus save money.
The smart choice of colored plaster
Indeed, a smart solution if we want to avoid painting the wall is colored plaster. It has many shades and you can find it ready on the market with high aesthetic standards and you should know that it does not change over time.Also, colored plaster is characterized by its excellent durability, while its most important element is that it reduces the total cost of construction work, since we forget about painting. And if you have any doubts, calculate that according to laboratory measurements, colored plaster increases the strength of the building. In addition, it has been observed that it has better behavior in special weather conditions and in a special environment (low temperatures, frost, humidity, near the sea).
Technical points in plastering that require attention
- We do not choose to get serious during the seasons when we have extreme weather conditions (high temperatures, frost. Ideal temperatures are from 8 to 32 ° C
- We must use good quality lime and completely erased
- Plastering is best done on completely dry walls in winter, while in summer it is better to have done before a wetting of the wall. In case the weather is hot and drought prevails, then the plastered surface must be maintained with a splash, in order to avoid any cracks in the plaster
- The three layers must be done with some time distance between them, otherwise there is a risk that the mortars will shrink. If the next layer is applied before the previous layer dries properly, then the plastered surface will show cracks as its substrate will not be stable
- To avoid repairs, it is necessary to place the marble barriers on the windows and doors immediately after the phase with the mud and before the phase with the marble
- Placing false frames on windows and doors, although not considered necessary, is the most common way to achieve straight and rectangular openings. So in this way we reduce any possibility of crooked opening
- Allow each layer of plaster to dry completely and properly before moving on to the next layer
- The No. 1 enemy of a plastered surface is moisture. Only if we have ensured suitable conditions without humidity in our space do we proceed to paint the wall. We make sure to paint the plastered wall surface often to maintain our excellent initial result in the following years
Now after reading the article abouy the secrets of roof plastering, you should be in place to know the secrets of this technique. In either case a professional team should be taken in your roof plastering, in order to have the best results that comes people having the knownledge, as also the expertise throught years of practising.