Tips on first-time car rentals in SantoriniAre you new at car rentals – Santorini car rental? Welcome to the world of tips on first-time car rentals in Santorini! We understand the frustration of a person who tries to rent a car online for the first time, but we are here to make it easier for you.
As it is your first-time in the car rental world, you will need some kind of guidance. We have prepared some tips on first-time car rentals in Santorini. This way you will not be scammed or charges extra money and you will enjoy your vacation in Santorini too.
1. Go with a car you are comfortable withWhen renting a car for the first time, you should bear in mind that you need to choose a car or generally a vehicle that you are comfortable with. If you are used to drive a car with automatic transmission for example, choosing a car with a manual one will create a lot of fuss.
It will be difficult to get used to it and you might become anxious when driving it. Or if you are used to driving a small car, do not choose a big car that will be difficult to handle. Think smart.
2. Check your driving licenseIf you are from a European country your driving license will be valid in Greece too, so you won’t need any extra documents. For citizens of other countries you will probably need an International Driving Permit.
It is not difficult to be issued as it is simply an official translation of your driving license’s details. Please make sure to get it in advance of your trip so that you will be able to rent a car and not be forces to move around with public transport.
3. Book your insuranceWe know that booking an insurance for your rental car will be an extra amount of money, but it is better to be safe than sorry. So the number one in the list of tips on first-time car rentals in Santorini, is insurance. Especially if you are a new driver (having your driver’s license for one to three years) it is nice to have insured both yourself and the damage of the car.
In case of an accident, you will be covered and you will not be forced to pay an insane amount of money to the car rental company. Book your insurance whether you will be staying for many days n Santorini or not. Either way you will be covered.
4. Make sure to be familiar with driving on the right sideFor people coming from the UK, Australia, Cyprus or other countries where you drive on the left side of the street, you need to be extra careful when driving in Santorini. You need to be driving on the right side of the street, and your steering wheel will be on the left side of the car.
Be extra careful when you are getting into roundabouts or when taking turns as it can get really confusing. Drive slowly so that you will avoid any accidents and make sure to give priority to anyone who is entitled to it.
5. Avoid getting charged extraWhen renting a car always read the fine letters of the contract. Make sure to take your time and read the contract carefully so that you will not miss any hidden charges. Make sure to state what you do and what you do not need on the car.
Any extra equipment will of course be charged so if you need a GPS, a baby car seat or anything else, you will be charged for it according to the days that you need it.
6. Be punctualIf you do not want to be charged with extra money make sure to pick up and return your rental car at the right time. Usually every car rental company will have a designated time and place of pick up and drop off. Sometimes when you rent a car the drop off time will be before noon so that the company will have time to prepare the car for the next rental.
If you delay for even 5 minutes, the company will charge you for at least 25% of the daily fee of the rental car. So if you do not want to pay extra, be quick and return the car on time!
7. Invest on a GPSIf this is your starting point for vacation and rental cars, we advise you to invest on a GPS so that you will make your travels more fun and convenient. Of course, you can use the GPS function of your smartphone but if you are not from Europe you will be charged for the mobile data that the GPS app uses.
You could also go with the classic old school way, the maps. Santorini has a lot of tourist shops where you can find maps. Some information points on the island are offering maps for free too! You can benefit from the free material and make your trip more fun.
This way you will not spend a lot of money as maps are pretty affordable and you will see how your parents and ancestors used to travel around without technology.
8. Research before bookingThe easiest way to find an affordable car to rent is research in advance. Take your time and research the prices of the rental companies, the models of the cars and anything else that might interest you. Ask them anything you want to know so that you will be prepared when you are going to pick up the car.
Don’t forget to look at the reviews of the customers if available at the website to see if the company is legitimate, if the prices are stable or if any other customer has faced problems with their transactions. At the instance that the company has a lot of negative reviews, don’t even bother booking a car there.